Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Older Author - Do you have what it takes to be successful?

The Older Author

Do you have what it takes to be successful?


 


There is no time like retirement or hitting fifty to start a writing career. Your time is your own, your children are grown, and your job doesn’t interfere with your creative thought process. You keep hearing about people who are jumping into the self-publishing arena and are wondering: Why not me?
         It pays to give it some thought before beginning a writing career. The first thing you have to ask yourself is why you want to write? If the answer is for your own pleasure, then get right at it, no need to plan. You might enjoy taking a class in writing at a local college.
         But if your goal is to make money as a self-published author or have your writing reach a large audience, there are a few things you will need to take stock of first.

1.    You must have basic computer skills. And be comfortable communicating online. Familiarity and ability to use social network sites are a big advantage. If you hate computers and all things digital, self-publishing is probably not for you. If you are lacking in those skills and still want to write, take a class in computer basics and one in networking.

2.    Own your own computer. Using your husband’s, your children’s or one from a local library just won’t work. If you cannot afford one, used computers are available. Just don’t use one that is too old to be compatible with the things you will need to do online.

3.    Time. If your schedule is packed with things like traveling, golfing, taking care grandkids, having company, and socializing with friends, you will have to decide where writing will fit into your life. For some writers, an hour a day is enough, and others spend eight hours a day writing and marketing. But you need to write regularly. If your lifestyle won’t accommodate that, you may need to reset some priorities in order to free up some time.

4.    A quiet workspace. There are writers who claim to be able to work no matter what the distraction. But most of us need a quiet spot for writing. If you don’t live alone you will need a work area you can call your own.

5.    Be a reader. If you aren’t a reader, writing will not come easily. And it will be hard to decide just what genre you want to write in. Most writers have been avid readers and write in the genre they enjoy the most. Familiarity with the genre you will write in will help you be successful because you will have an idea what those readers are looking for.

6.    Be a goal setter. A writing career is a huge endeavor. Make a list of the things you need to do in order to get started and follow through, beginning with the basics. Establishing daily and weekly goals force you to keep moving forward.

7.    Have determination. Without this, you cannot be successful. If you think you can just slap your book on Amazon.com and be “discovered,” think again. The chances of that happening are about as likely as winning a multi-million-dollar lottery. It requires a lot of hard work, both in honing your writing skills and marketing your writing, in order to obtain an audience for your work.



Dear readers,
As more and more of us who are no longer twenty-one get into writing, (along with everyone else!) it is important to recognize that the competition for readers’ attention is fierce. If you feel you have what it takes to write and self-publish or at least want to give it a try, it might help to join a writers’ group or take a night class for people who want to write. Either one will not just help improve your writing, but will give you a lot of valuable input from other writers. Good luck!


Marla

25 comments:

  1. Thank you I enjoyed reading this. A networking course sounds interesting, i did not know there were such things. Writing editing and releasing your work is hard enough. The blogging twitter and f. B.
    Jiggery pokery just adds to the mix. All the above could be the final fear factor for some. Thanks your
    post is appreciated. P.s. I press on learning every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,
      Glad you liked the post. After I retired and decided I wanted to write a novel, I was fortunate to find a critique group in my area. It really helped get me started and I probably would not have begun a writing career without their help. My writer friend who started it advertised for other writers in the local paper and in the library.
      Classes depend on where you live. In a larger city, you could find anything you want, but I have seen some that introduce you to using the social sites. Kind of depends where you are, computer-wise.
      Good for you if you're doing something every day. I started out using "This Year You Write Your Novel" by Walter Mosley who advocates writing a page and a half a day. I think I need to read it again now!
      Take care and keep writing,
      Marla

      Delete
  2. I retired a year ago and I can't believe how much I get done without the 8 or more hours on the day job and not having to worry about the kids. It's life changing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Good for you! Try to set up a writing time daily, at least five days a week. You'll find that the longer you're retired, the more things you will get involved in. Eventually it feels nearly as demanding as a regular job! Keep priorities in mind when you make other commitments.
      Thanks for visiting,
      Marla

      Delete
  3. I've written & published three novels and a memoir after the age of 50. The writing keeps your mind sharp and your body healthier. And, yes, reading is important; helps with the rhythm of your writing. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie,
      Congratulations on your achievements. Glad to hear writing has improved your life. I think it all comes down to knowing what kind of person you are when you retire. Some of us, like you and I, need to have a goal in life. Many of our friends prefer having an ongoing social life and travel. Discovering what works for you is the key to a happy retirement.
      Glad you liked the post. Have a nice first week of September.
      Marla

      Delete
  4. A great post. Determination can overcome the inertia of doubt if you but persist, right? I envy those who have retired and are writing. As a rare blood courier, I have little free time, but in the past 4 and a half years, I still have written 32 books. Not having a social life helps! I wish you the highest of sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You have a very impressive head start on us, Roland. Too bad about the social life, though. Always make time for something fun. How about a walk in the woods when the leaves change? It'll inspire your creativity to a new high.
      Have a great week,
      Marla

      Delete
  5. Your post was so encouraging I read the previous three straight off.
    I've been writing for a while and just published my debut novel on Amazon as an ebook. (I'm in awe of the previous writer who said he'd written 32 books in the past 4 years!) I'm now trying to come to grips with marketing (on top of the blogging & tweeting), as well as questions such as should I have a hard copy?
    Mostly though I am focusing on the next novel (rough draft written in last year's nanowrimo, and hopefully released in October) because I find writing is the antidote to the fears and doubts that come after publishing. Thanks for a great informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teagan,
      Love your name! So happy you found my post encouraging and are enjoying the blog. We need to ask Roland if his 32 books are full-length. Many of the novels offered digitally these days are shorter works. Mine have been long, 400 pages or so, but I'm thinking of doing them somewhat shorter in the future and see how that goes.
      The only reason I make print copies of my book is for friends and relatives. So many don't read with a reader! Also if you are going to make appearances or give talks, you really need one. I'm not real big on those, although if you live in a larger city, it could be very helpful with getting your name out there.
      Good luck with the next book,
      Marla

      Delete
  6. Happy to be a member of this club! Four novels published after the age of fifty so far . . . working on more. Yes, life gets in the way sometimes and you won't be able to write for long stretches every day, but you need those life experiences to have something to write about! I think that actually might give an older writer a bit of an edge in terms of plot and depth. Just make sure that computer is a laptop, and take it with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darlene,
      Congratulations! I agree, we have a lot more to nudge our creative juices than younger writers have. I think it helps to set a daily goal, even if it's only a page. So nice to hear from you. Have a nice weekend and enjoy the fall weather if you're here in the midwest.
      Marla

      Delete
  7. I love this post. It ticks all the boxes for the older wannabe writer.
    Happily, I cover all seven points.
    I write for my own satisfaction and enjoyment and to be read by the public.
    Hopefully, I make a little money to cover expenses
    I've been writing full-time for ten years, so far so good.
    Writer Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      Good to hear from you! Keep up the good work and don't stop writing.
      Marla

      Delete
  8. As a 60-something freelance writer, I agree with every word! Great advice, thanks Marla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catie,
      So glad you enjoyed the blog! We over-fifty writers have a lot of advantages as Indies. Have to keep working those. Have a nice day and keep writing,
      Marla

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please allow me to add to your comments about the over-fifty writer. I published my first book, and earned an MFA in Creative Writing, at 66. I'm working on a second book now. It truly is never too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bette,
      Thanks for commenting! Yes! Never too late and writing is a wonderful job or even hobby for us golden-agers. I first started when I was close to your age and now I have a fifth suspense book about ready for publication.
      Nice to meet you,
      Marla

      Delete
  11. Hi Marla,

    I enjoyed this post. As a man of 53 years I've always loved writing but events beyond my control prevented me doing anything with it in my younger years.

    Now I'm determined to give it a go and I've spent almost a year up to this point looking into all the available resources and opportunities open to me. From a personal point of view I'd recommend to anyone else to do a lot of research into KDP etc and to spend time getting to know what parts of social media are worth using.

    I'm due to publish my first book May 2015 and have a second one about to go to my editor.
    Age shouldn't be a barrier, but like you say there are important things to take into consideration.

    Kind regards,

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      I started even later than you! I was fortunate when I started and got into a critique group. Sure helps when someone else starts first and tells you what to do!
      Good luck with the book. I think that writing and all the problems involved with it is
      excellent for the aging brain!
      Have a great weekend,
      Marla

      Delete
  12. Hi Marla
    Thanks for your advice and encouragement,
    everyone knows them, but it's nice to remember them and stigmatize them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Nice to meet you! I think many of us who like to write, just write and don't give much thought to the other part of writing, getting your work recognized. Some days it feels
      like the hardest part. Stick with it.
      Marla

      Delete
  13. thanks for the advice, are pearls and jewelry for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, this was one of those right time right place things. 60+ and recently got into writing. Computer skills are not a problem nor having the right hardware/software. Been working and playing with computers for over 30 years now. Time? It's because I have so much of that I've turned to writing as a form of therapy. Quiet workplace is also easy as there is only the wife and myself, so the house can be very quiet. And reading is something I've been doing since childhood, though in later life it became more research and analysis related. Goal setting is also easy, but tend to keep them flexible as life still happens. Finally determination, I have already posted my first novella on Amazon, and have adopted a bit of a McDonald's way of thinking. You don't see success from a single hamburger, so have a file full of story ideas and expect to have a second one posted this month. And the right time, right place reference? Just starting out, not knowing what I'm doing, doubt rears it's head every so often. Reading through your article and seeing I'm already doing so much right helps in pushing that doubt back down out of the way so I can continue on with the next story. So Thank You for that.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!